REMOTE, can be located anywhere in the world
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Consultant finance officer has overall responsibility for the efficient operation of finance operations for a small but fast growing journalism nonprofit with teams in Global South settings. The role requires refining systems and overseeing the timely delivery of monthly financial reports, and coordination and communication between operational and financial supports. This is a role for someone with a generous, team-minded spirit who is flexible, entrepreneurial, a self-starter and keen to help build an organization that has impact.
Role is 16 hours or 2 days a week with possibility of increase.
New Narratives, Inc. is based in New York state, NY, USA with staff in Australia and West Africa. This position will be remote and can be based anywhere in the world. You should apply with the understanding that some of your work hours will need to be coordinated to align with those of colleagues in Australia and West Africa.
All remote candidates will be considered. This position has an anticipated closing date of June 7, 2022.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Ensure that all expenditures are conducted and reported in compliance with requirements outlined by the donor and in compliance with organization’s policies and procedures;
- Prepare monthly financial reports;
- Ensure that expense data is properly submitted, and that all expenses are reasonable, allowable, and allocable, and conform to cost principles outlined in donor regulations;
- Ensure all supporting documentation is obtained in a timely manner;
- Work with Operations team to prepare monthly cash plan;
- Make bank withdrawals and payments;
- Prepare wire transfer requests;
- Maintain and track supporting documents for audits and verification;
- Prepare monthly reconciliation for all other relevant ledger accounts;
- Recommend improvements to systems.
- Communicate and coordinate with regional and home office accounting staff,
- Communicate with relevant staff about updates of organization’s finance policies;
- In all duties, understand and demonstrate commitment to upholding New Narratives values.
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Bachelor’s degree or internationally recognized professional qualification in Accounting, Finance, administration, or another closely related field
- At least three years’ experience in finance and accounting, with excellent understanding of finance and accounting-related issues. Experience with international donors including European and United States governments is helpful.
- Ability to work on a multicultural team and maintain effective (remote) communication with colleagues
- Ability to handle multiple tasks efficiently
- Familiarity with Internet resources and programs such as Excel, Word, and Outlook; knowledge of Quickbooks accounting software.
This position is being offered as 16 hours or a 2 days a week.
New Narratives is an EEO/AAP/OFCCP employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. New Narratives does not discriminate based on race, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.
ABOUT NEW NARRATIVES
New Narratives’ mission is to drive an increase in the quality of journalism so that citizens have the information they need to play their role in democracy, drive change and keep leaders accountable. We recognize the fundamental challenge to quality journalism in Global South settings is a broken business model. For this reason every New Narratives project supports the growth of independent revenue and a supportive media ecosystem. We create a virtuous cycle where media partners set a higher standard for quality reporting leading to larger audiences and more revenue. In turn, rival media lift their standards in order to compete. The media market is more healthy and the quality of journalism lifts across the board.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations, and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
Please send a cover letter and CV to contact-AT-newnarratives.org by end of day June 7, 2022, U.S. East Coast time. For questions please contact prue-AT-newnarratives.org.