ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
NEW NARRATIVES is currently seeking applications from qualified candidates for Director of Finance and Administration to support our fast growing organization in Liberia. New Narratives is a nonprofit newsroom and media development organization that supports the leading independent newsrooms in the Global South to do quality journalism and innovate businesses to increase independent revenue so they can better serve their audiences.
The Director of Finance and Administration will be a senior member of the management team and will be responsible for developing, overseeing and providing strategic leadership and technical guidance for administrative, operational, finance, evaluation, procurement, and human resource functions and be responsible for effective utilization of resources including staff with a diverse range of capabilities.
This is a role for a mid-career administrator who is excited to help shape a growing, impactful organization that is helping build Liberia’s democratic institutions. The Director of Administration and Evaluation will support the Executive Director in building and assuring that all administrative, financial, evaluation and operational activities under the organization’s various project are implemented in a timely and results-focused manner, and in compliance with donor requirements. This position will be based in Monrovia, Liberia and will report to the Executive Director.
- Coordinate closely with Executive Director to lead financial, evaluation, operational and contractual aspects of the organization;
- Responsible for building, implementing and enhancing internal organizational and financial processes;
- Ensure compliance with donor and Government of Liberia rules, regulations and policies regarding contracts and grants, procurements, and financial management;
- Manage the planning and implementation of field activities, including management and strategic oversight of budgets, grants, operational plans, reporting, and procedural and financial compliance;
- Ensure efficient management and utilization of resources in accordance with applicable New Narratives and donor policies and procedures;
- Provide guidance and capacity building to Activity staff and partners in project, evaluation, financial and human resources management;
- Collaborate with NN’s country team, and headquarter-based staff to ensure the project is implemented according to organization and industry best practices, program framework, and regulations;
- Contribute to timely and accurate reporting;
- Supervise the recruitment, hiring, and management of operational/financial local staff and consultants;
- Support performance management and professional development of direct reports, including ongoing feedback, coaching, and career support.
- Bachelor’s degree required in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or related field;
- Minimum of 5+ years of progressively responsible operational and financial management experience (including 2+ years of line management experience) in support of international development programs;
- Experience managing operations and finance for projects funded by European and U.S. governments;
- Budgeting, financial management, and policies and procedures oversight experience,
- Effective strategic planning and project management skills;
- Strong consultative and negotiation skills;
- Ability to analyze and establish effective and supportive cross-program coordination, organizational procedures, and management systems;
- Good analytical, numerical and problem-solving skills;
- Must have demonstrated ability to work in complex environments, work across different cultures, and manage diverse teams to deliver impact within agreed timelines;
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver work with minimal supervision;
- Experience in Liberia or the region strongly preferred;
- Written and oral fluency in English required.
- Skilled in Microsoft Office programs including Excel, online filing sharing platforms and keen to learn new digital skills.
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. New Narratives is an EEO/AAP/OFCCP employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. New Narratives does not discriminate based on race, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.
Safeguarding – We are committed to ensuring that all children and adults who come into contact with New Narratives are treated with respect and are free from abuse. All successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced selection process including safeguarding-focused interviews and a rigorous due diligence process.
ABOUT NEW NARRATIVES
New Narratives’ mission is to drive an increase in the quality of journalism so that citizens have the information they need to play their role in democracy, drive change and keep leaders accountable. We recognize the fundamental challenge to quality journalism in Global South settings is a broken business model. For this reason every New Narratives project supports the growth of independent revenue and a supportive media ecosystem. We create a virtuous cycle where media partners set a higher standard for quality reporting leading to larger audiences and more revenue. In turn, rival media lift their standards in order to compete. The media market is more healthy and the quality of journalism lifts across the board.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations, and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send cover letter and CV to [email protected] by midnight June 7th, 2022. Please send questions to [email protected]