New Narratives, a non-governmental organisation that has been driving improvements in Liberia’s media sector for 11 years will run a 15-month project that supports Liberian journalists and news organisations to cover issues related to land, water and natural resources rights including those related to climate change. Support for the project will come from the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office of the UK government and the American Jewish World Service.
The project will run from October 2021- December 2022 and will feature training, mentoring and capacity building for Liberian journalists and news organizations. Participants will also take part in the production of a podcast series with content produced in the project. The first training workshop will be November 11 and 12th. All participants will be expected to take part.
Call for applications
Journalists working in Liberia are invited to apply. Journalists taking part in the scheme will learn how to produce accurate, impartial and independent coverage of land rights and climate change issues. Grants will be available within the project to help journalists cover stories.
We are looking for 15 journalists who:
- Report for an independent media outlet in Liberia – print, online, radio or television journalists are eligible
- Have at least 3 years of professional experience as a journalist
- Are motivated to cover natural resources and climate change issues and how they impact other aspects of life in Liberia in a fair and balanced manner with a view to increasing the honest information available to Liberians.
- Have approval of their employers
- Are willing to report independently without taking payment from news sources.
- Women and minority journalists, including those with disabilities, are encouraged to apply
Please note: journalists taking part in the program will be required to sign an agreement to that they will take no payments from sources in the process of reporting.
To apply send a cover letter detailing why you want to take part in this scheme, as well as a CV and two writing samples or links to online work to [email protected] Any questions please contact Anthony Stephens, Land Rights and Climate Change Editor at acarusstephens at gmail.com
Deadline: Friday, November 5th 2021
About New Narratives
New Narratives provides resources, editorial and business support to help leading media houses in low-income countries deliver independent, honest news that people use to drive change. Working in Liberia since 2010, New Narratives reporters have repeatedly broken stories that have prompted action on major societal issues such as teen prostitution, child labor, natural resources and justice. Reporting has won major national and international awards and appeared in media around the world.